Idol Chatter: Welcome to Sanjaya Universe!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Welcome to Sanjaya Universe!

Yup folks, you heard me right!! It's Sanjaya's universe and we are mere observers. In case you missed it, he said so himself! As I gathered my jaw off the floor, I found that I couldn't agree more. What a guy! Heck, even Tony Bennett gave praise and that means a ton in my book. I love the fact that "he's got a great sense of humor." Thank you Tony for those kind words that we can all agree with!

This week is Spring Break for the 8 year old in my house and with no homework to occupy a large chunk of the evening, I was left with trying to figure out ways to keep someone from bouncing off the walls and sending the dog into fits of terror thereby causing her to hide under whoever's legs are the closest...usually mine...usually while I'm trying to balance a whole stack of glassware while cleaning up after dinner. It's a ton of fun!

After a rousing game of Sorry followed by a booming game of Battleship (both of which I lost...go figure), I finally plopped myself down in front of the TV, determined to catch my favs and not-so-favs doing what they do best (or worst). And, with that great musical legend Tony Bennett offering words of encouragment, it was a fine night indeed. And can I just say that Mr. Bennett looked amazing for being 81. I half determined last night that I need to introduce him to my 80 year old grandmother. As spry as they both are, they'd make a great couple...and wouldn't it be cool to add another celebrity to the list of those that I'm related to (no matter how distant the relation ~ Hi Elvis! ~ He lives...but that's all I'm allowed to say).

Well, now that I've blathered on and on about inconsequential stuff, it's time to get back to Sanjaya's Universe!

Blake Lewis
Mack the Knife

Unfortunately, I didn't get to really watch the whole of this performance. What I did see cemented in my mind that Blake is a really good performer. Unfortunately, this particular number seems to leave everyone who performs it looking like, as writer Craig Berman said, "a lounge singer at a Holiday Inn in Reno." I can understand not wanting to mess with a Tony Bennett classic, but this performance needed a little bit of Blake's stylizing. Still, like I said, he's a great performer!

Phil Stacey
Night and Day

No amount of closing my eyes helped this performance out. Didn't like it...not even a little! And, seeing as he was close to the front of the pack, with criticism from two of the judges, I wouldn't wonder if perhaps, we might have finally seen the last of creepy, spaced-alien guy. I was right last week...maybe I'm on a roll?!

Melinda Doolittle
I Got Rhythm

Does she ever suck? No! Will the "who, little ole me?" schtick get old? Perhaps! She's definitely got rhythm and soul and a voice and a stage persona and...well, I could go on, but you already know this...maan (to quote my favorite character in a movie...Smokey in Friday).

Chris Richardson
Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Ummmm...I get the feeling that he'll be getting around a lot in the near future! Seriously one of his best performances. Is he the best? Not so much...but dang...the boy can sing!

Jordin Sparks
On a Clear Day

For once, I did not like Jordin's performance. Not that she was particularly bad...the song just didn't suit her. Heck, maybe it was the whole genre that didn't suit her. Whatever, it just didn't work for me. Sorry!

Gina Glocksen
Smile

She's really not my kind of chick, but dang, she made me smile last night! I loved her again this week! She's got depth and range and a voice that can soar. Was she outsung by the two chicks that sang before her? Breaking with Simon, I'd say only Melinda outsang her. I bet she's safe...least I hope she's safe!

Sanjaya Malakar
Cheek to Cheek

I have no words for his vocal prowess on this or any other song he attempts to perform. He is working the hell out of the fact that he can't sing though. Crazy!!!

Haley Scarnato
Ain't Misbehavin'

Was it just me, or did all of the judges completely decide to pass when it came to talking about her performance? Nope...they all had nice things to say about...her outfit. Oh yeah, Simon said she had great legs. And with that, she was whisked off stage. Hmmmm...I bet we'll see her in the bottom three tonight!!!

Lakisha Jones
Stormy Weather

Ahhh...good ole' Kiki! I felt a little wet myself after watching that performance. Dang...personally, I think she's got a better voice than Melinda. And she can work the stage. Dang! Ok...enough...we all know I love me sum Kiki!!!

So...now you know what it looks like in Sanjaya's universe!!!

j.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know, I'm no fanatic of American Idol, but that said, IMO, Sanjaya is very undeserving of those attacks. That Mohawk, though, or whatever that was, is a different story.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am not so happy about the Sanjaya Universe. Evidently, I need to find a new universe because I’m not enjoying his so much!

Michelle

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home