Idol Chatter: For once - rock didn't suck!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

For once - rock didn't suck!

Ok, I'll admit it...I groaned out loud when I heard that the theme for the evening was the music of Bon Jovi. It's not that I have anything particular against the band, don't like their music or any other valid reason...it's just...well...Bon Jovi style rock just doesn't seem suited to the bubble-gum pop that Idol thrives on. Plus, who among the six remaining are rockers? Here's a hint - NONE!

To top it off, all the excitement and hoopla of last week, meant that for the results episode, we faced delayed gratification. Ryan seemed to indicate last week that ALL the votes (over 70 million of them) would be added to the votes from this week's show and the two lowest vote getters would be sent home. WooHoo! What that really means is that all those dang votes last night don't really matter. Right? The decision is probably a foregone conclusion. At least that seems to be the prevailing wisdom.

I'll be honest, I nearly didn't watch. I mean with everything factored in a big "WHATEVER" seemed to float suspended in space over my TV. There's a lot of important things that go on in my house and if Idol isn't going to step up, then it's a time waster and frankly...there's no wastin' time at my house (at least most of the time...hmmm...).

So, you watched the show too right? Bet you are as shocked as me! Right?! Heck, even sleeping beauty, who always stretches out on the couch snoring away (no matter how loudly Idol is blazing in the background) was awake and alert and...voted!!! Seriously, who would ever expect a night of Bon Jovi's greatest hits to be a hit. Ok...maybe they would expect it at my sister's house. She's more than a fan...she's a fanatic. He's on her iPod! He's what they work out to! He's...Bon Jovi!! But for the rest of us mortals...it should have been a yawner! So how did, what should have been the yawner of the year turn into one of the best nights this season? Think about rock night on the last 5 seasons. Even the season that Chris Daughtry was on wasn't all that great because a majority of the contestants sucked. Not last night! Heck...even old weirdo himself did better than average. Crazy huh?!

Ok...well...I can see I'm beginning to lose you with my bloviating...heck, I'm losing myself...so, let's talk about our new rock stars.

Phil Stacey
Blaze of Glory

Didn't suck! Still going home!

Jordin Sparks
Living on a Prayer

Sucked! Not going home!

LaKisha Jones
This Ain't a Love Song

My girl is back! I was in line behind Simon for that kiss! Bet those lips are pretty dang tasty! Problem is, given her performance last week (and the week before), she's in a bit of a dangerous position. I'm a little bit scared for Kiki!

Blake Lewis
You Give Love a Bad Name

I remember skipping school and going with my best friend to an amusement park. We listened to Bon Jovi the whole way there and the whole way back. I know the words to this song backwards and forwards. Blake threw me for a loop and I freakin' loved it!!! He messed with a classic and made it freakin fresh and poppin! In fact, Blake's rendition got the only playback of the night! Mad skillz!!!

Chris Richardson
Wanted Dead or Alive

If I'm being honest, I never did like this song. Oh, don't act so shocked! Bet there's a couple of his numbers you don't like either. But whatever, Chris did a great job of recreating it in his own image. Like LaKisha though, I'm a bit nervous for my boi. We'll see.

Melinda Doolittle
Have a Nice Day

What the heck was that? Wow! She was a rock vixen last night. Damn! She got down and dirty and made me believe. Have a nice day indeed! I've still got chills!! Even though I loved Blake's performance and thought he was the most original of all the performances, this was my favorite. As the formerly-sleeping beauty said "she knocked it outtha park!" You bet she did baby!

Tonight we'll kiss off two more people. I will probably be depressed as all get-out by the results. This is Idol after all...expect anything!

j.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home